Flight Testing:

GLASAIRPROJECT.COM HOME Click here

 

April 27th, 2008 Flight Hours: .9 Total Hours: 7.1
5th Flight: Squawks: Correction:
After the success of the last couple flights and the ability of the aircraft to sustain appropriate engine parameters, I decided it was time to really start testing the airframe.

I set out for a cross-country flight to Scappoose, OR (SPB) and back. This took me approximately 36nm from MMV.

The landing at SPB gave me my first hick-up. With the TPS set "properly" the idle would hunt below 2500 rpm. This was a bit disconcerting at low altitude (50') (I thought this wouldn't happen if I removed the idle air control valve from the intake but left it plugged into the computer). But, I found it quickly manageable by decreasing prop pitch and increasing rpm to 2800.

I love having the controls on the stick. Everything is instantly available for these situations.

Upon returning  to MMV I kept the idle-hunt situation in mind and didn't let the engine rpm drop below 2600 rpm. The hunt didn't happen and the mis-fire codes did not reproduce as the would each time I reduced power in the passed.

Maybe 2600rpm is the magic number?

Upon landing I found that a small amount of gearbox oil had run down the belly of the plane.

Idle hunt (surge) at low rpm, below 2500 upon power reduction.

Mis-fire check-engine light flashes when power reduced at altitude below 2500 rpm.

I cleaned the oil off and removed 1.5ozs from the overflow to attempt to keep this from happening again.

This reduced the total gear oil to 18.5oz.

I decided to run a short hose out the cowl and point it forward to see if this stops the outflow of oil from the gearbox.

Both the idle hunt and mis-fire triggers seem to be reduced by keeping rpm up and adjusting the prop to slow the plane down. Will continue to carefully monitor.

< BACK

HOME | WEB LOG | SUBARU ENGINE | AIRFRAME CHANGES | PROPELLER | ELECTRICAL | INSTRUMENT DASH | BUILDERS LOG | LINKS | CONTACT